The implementation of sixth pay commission has drastically changed the warrent of precedence (WoP) for the Indian Armed Forces. The chairperson of UPSC has been upgraded to article 9A over services chiefs (at article 12). He/she used to be earlier at article 17 below services chiefs and also below officiating chiefs of the rank of Lt Gen who were on article 16. Chairperson of SCs and STs were added on article 17. Both these chairpersons are now higher than Army Commanders/Vice Chiefs who are on article 23. Members of SCs & STs placed at same level of Army Commanders/Vice Chiefs at article 23.What more to say, even Field Marshall Manekshaw was placed at article 12 below two former civil servants ( Brijesh Mishra and Vijay Kapoor). Now, does anyone know what these gentlemen have done for INDIA????
As was well known, Army Commanders/Vice Chiefs were equated with secretaries to Govt. of India on article 23. However, Note 10(c) of the WoP make an interesting distinction: In official functions held at Delhi, Army Commanders /Vice Chiefs of the Army Staff or equivalent in other services will always rank after the secrataries to the Government of India.
Following are the deductions:
1. DIG is now officially equivalent to a Brigadier (Earlier this rank was even junior to a Colonel)
2. Ministry of Home Affairs has declared that all IPS officers shall attain the rank of DIG in 14 year's service.
3. Senior Administrative Grade (SAG) is now officially equivalent to the rank of Major General.
4. Dept of Pers & Trg has declared that all IAS officers shall attain the rank of SAG in 14 year's service.
5.What would be achievable by 100% IPS officers in 14 years, 100% CPO and State Cadre (class two) Police officers after 25 years would now be achievable by 7% defence officers in 28 years.
6. What would be achievable by 100% IAS officers in 14 years would now be achievable by 2% defence in 33 years.
7. 20% defence officers attain the rank of COLONEL after 16 years of service whereas, the same rank(SSP) is achieved by 100% IPS officers afters 8 years of service, 100% CPO officers after 16 years, 100% state cadre (class two) police officers after 15 years and in some cases few state cadre Sub Inspectors or even the ASIs as well.
It is now evident from the above deduction that almost 80% of the defence officers will always be junior to all IPS,CPO and even the state cadre police officers throughout their service. The selection grade officers, who make it to the rank of COLONELs and beyond, will also be junior to their police counterparts in all protocols .
It is pertinent to mention that the senior most civilian rank in a state was equivalent to a Colonel during independance; whereas , over a period of time, the nation has only seen the downfall our BABUS. Their machinary collaps even with a simple storm, whereas, their protocol has kept on rising. I dont need to mention the professionalism of our Armed Forces; the nation knows well.
In principle, our politicians needs to give an explanation for this remarkable erosion of a soldier's status over the past sixty years, the Generals , too , are equally responsible. They have virtually failed in restoring the pride of their own men whom they command.
No doubt, even, they dont send their children in the services who rather prefer beauty contests or becoming a Bollywood star. I dont blame them also because they have seen it all.
It is high time that we speak up or else a disaster of command and control during warlike situations is waiting to happen.
(Photo Concept: Maj Surender Singh, Graphics: Samson Robert)
Picture: Capt Rajpal,Jt director FICCI(left) , Lt Sanjeev Kaura,Politician BSP(right) ,INDIAN TERRITORIAL ARMY